We go hands-on with Sony’s latest Compact smartphone
This is our review of the SIM Free Sony Xperia Z3 Compact, which we have available to order on the Clove website here at the fantastic price of just £290.83 (£349 inc. VAT).
Roughly six months ago Sony launched a new breed of smartphone into the market. A smartphone that many desired but never really existed; but Sony took a bold step that has ultimately paid off for them.
The Xperia Z1 Compact was and still is as powerful as the Sony Xperia Z1 on which it was based, but had a smaller display to make the overall handset more user friendly, but did not want to sacrifice memory and processing power; which was too often the case with other ‘mini’ or ‘compact’ models.
Whilst I like to keep reviews as balanced as possible I do have a personal affliction with the Z1 Compact. It is my device of choice and I could not be happier.
The problem with the Z1 Compact was that it was released at the same time as the Z2, but was based on the previous Z1, in theory out of sync with Sony’s range.
With the launch of the Z3 comes the launch of the Z3 Compact to keep the 2 in line with each other and much closer matched in terms of specification.
The differences between the Z3 and Z3 Compact are:
- The compact has 2GB RAM rather than 3GB
- The display is a 4.6” 720p IPS panel as opposed to the 5.2” 1080p
- The battery is 2600mAh as opposed to 3100mAh
- It is 8.6mm thick and 129g compared to the Z3 at 7.3mm thick and 152g
In comparison to the Z1 Compact:
- 2.5GHz processor compared to the 2.2GHz quad-core of the Z1C
- 4.6” 720P display rather than a 4.3”
- 2600mAh battery rather than 2300mAh
- 8.6mm thick and 129 grams rather than 9.5mm thick and 137g
- Stereo speakers
- Softer edges on the Z3 Compact
So with less than a year between the two how does the latest model stack up? Find out in our video review below or keep reading for the full written review.