Cosmo Communicator: Due May 2019
Last year Planet Computers launched the innovative Gemini PDA. A callback to the personal organisers and pocket computers of the late 90’s, Gemini was an up-to-date modern clamshell with a QWERTY keyboard. Gemini saw critical acclaim from major tech outlets. It was also a commercial success considering the admittedly niche target market.
For 2019, Planet is producing the Cosmo Communicator. This has the same core ethos of the Gemini, with various improvements.
Planet Computers have already secured over $1 million towards Cosmo’s production Communicator through their Indiegogo crowdfunding page. You can place an early order through the Indiegogo page at a discounted rate.
Planet Computers aim to ship the first Cosmo units in May 2019 and Clove Technology will have retail stock soon after this.
Cosmo Communicator New Features
Feedback from Gemini customers has been well received. The Cosmo will have several new features suggested by the community. These include:
External colour display for caller information. A 2″ colour touch display is embedded in the outer shell. This will display caller ID information, integrating with your stored contact information.
Backlit keyboard. A redesign of the QWERTY keyboard has improved key travel and response. The keys are now backlit (Gemini had painted symbols) so the device can be used in the dark without external lighting.
External 24MP camera. A fully integrated 24MP camera and LED flash will be built into the top clamshell. The original Gemini lacked this but an additional camera module was sold separately.
Improved call handling. Alongside the external display, a toggle switch for call handling will be included.
Fingerprint sensor. The call handling switch doubles as a fingerprint sensor.
NFC, updated 4G modem, increased memory. NFC is included for one-touch accessory pairing and contactless payments. The cellular modem has been improved and storage/memory upgraded to 128 / 6 GB.
Physical Dual SIM. The original Gemini had only one physical SIM slot, with e-SIM available for a 2nd. Cosmo will feature 2 physical nano-SIM slots, as well as the additional e-SIM.
Cosmo Communicator Key Specifications
- Dual-boot Android 9 & Linux (ships with Android & Sailfish OS, manual installation of other Linux distros required)
- 5.99″ FHD (1080 x 2160) capacitive touch screen with 18:9 screen ratio
- MediaTek Helio P70 octa-core (10-core) processor (4x 2.0GHz & 4x 2.0GHz)
- ARM Mali G72 MP3 800 MHz GPU
- 6GB RAM / 128GB storage / microSD support
- 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi (dual-band 2.4 / 5 GHz)
- Bluetooth 4.2 / GPS / LTE / NFC / FM Radio
- 24 MP external camera with LED flash
- 5 MP internal (video-call) camera
- Full mechanical backlit QWERTY keyboard
- Sealed 4,220 mAh battery
- 2x USB Type-C / 3.5 mm audio jack
- HDMI video output (requires adapter)
- Dedicated voice assistance button
- Answer/reject call button with integrated fingerprint sensor
- 171.4 x 79.3 x 16 mm