Thinkware F800: Due August, “Air” Update Later This Year
This award was provided due to the forward-thinking remote features showcased at CES. These features gave the product its original name: Thinkware F800 “Air”.
Thinkware F800 Air Features
These features incorporated Internet of Things (IoT) technology into the camera. With F800 connected to a Wi-Fi network (public, private, or via mobile hotspot), the IoT connection can provide remote alerts. These utilise a Thinkware account system, delivering push notifications to smartphones with the relevant app.
Alerts could be due to incidents recorded when the car is parked. There’s also the option to create geofences, delivering notifications if the camera goes outside these GPS areas. Finally a Driving Report Service analyses driving patterns to support safe driving.
Thinkware F800 “Pro”
Originally set to launch in July, this date arrived with the product only available in Asian markets. The camera was also marketed as the F800 Pro, with the Air features mysteriously absent.
Having done some investigation, it appears the background services for these features are not yet finished. The hardware is ready though, so rather than wait, Thinkware chose to launch the product without Air.
It is the Pro version that will be available from Clove this month, hopefully in the next couple of weeks. The full software update to unlock the Air features should be available by the end of the year.
All Pro models sold will be able to receive the update. This can be completed OTA when connected to a trusted Wi-Fi network. The redesigned F800 app for iOS and Android can also check for updates. Those wanting to do things the more old-fashioned way will be able to download the update and install manually.
Once the update is released, Thinkware will sell the F800 Air as a complete product, slowly removing the Pro from the market.
Thinkware F800 Key Features
- 1080p Sony Exmor R STARVIS Image Sensor with Super WDR
- Extended low-current parking mode (up to 1-week standby)
- Super Night Vision 2.0 (Driving & Parking mode)
- Time Lapse (parking mode only)
- Safety Camera Alert
- Road Safety Warning System (LDWS, FCWS, uFCW, FVSA)
- 140° Wide Angle (Front & Rear)
- Advanced Video Clear Technology
- Built-in Wi-Fi / Built-in GPS
- Format Free 2.0
- Mobile App (iOS & Android Compatible)
- PC Viewer For Windows And Mac OS
- G-sensor Incident Detection
- Integrated Thermal Protection
- Eligible for F800 “Air” upgrade (cloud features and remote notifications)