HTC U 11 Features: Sense Companion
With the launch of the new HTC U 11, there are a number of unique features on the handset we are working through.
So what else is there to look at? Well something that’s been appearing in a lot of products, be those smartphones or other things, are virtual assistants. HTC’s own version is called Sense Companion.
HTC Sense Companion
Platform makers such as Google, Amazon and Microsoft have Assistant, Alexa and Cortana. They can help around the home and facilitate bigger tasks by combining personal schedules with Big Data.
At the other end of the scale, some manufacturers use virtual assistants as an extension of their user interface. We’ve recently seen Samsung’s Bixby adopt this approach and it is the same with Sense Companion.
Sense Companion is designed to make using your phone easier, while also helping out with day to day items. There is voice recognition, so you can ask it a question, and there are also unrequested prompts and notifications.
The Companion is a standalone app, but integrates with Google Now/Assistant where available. It’s more useful if you choose to do this.
For instance if it is cold outside, you may see a prompt to wrap up warm. If you have meetings, a contextual notification can suggest leaving earlier in bad weather. This kind of thing is handled well by Google already, although there are HTC specific additions.
As it is an HTC product, it works best on HTC phones. The manufacturer understands their own hardware and software, so Companion can work in the background to optimise your experience. It can control notifications and prioritise tasks from your most regularly used apps over others to streamline performance.
HTC U 11 Key Specifications
- Android 7.1.1 Nougat – The most recent Android OS with DayDream VR and split-screen apps
- HTC Sense environment with Themes to download and customise
- Edge Sense interaction – U Touch and squeeze to control
- Octa-core Snapdragon 835 – all-new power efficient 10nm architecture
- Display – 5.5” QHD (1440 x 2560) Super LCD 5 screen panel with Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Large 3,000 mAh battery with Quick Charge 3.0 technology
- 64GB internal flash memory and 4GB RAM
- Support for microSDXC cards up to 256 GB
- 12 MP main camera with HTC UltraPixel 3 & 1.55 micron pixels for amazing photographs: scored DxOMark 90
- Front Camera – 16MP with HTC UltraPixel mode
- 4K Video recording and 3D Audio with 360 degree microphones
- HTC USonic and Hi-Res Audio for high-fidelity personalised audio