HTC U11 Announced & Priced, Due June 1st
The U11 sells itself initially on the Edge Sense technology. This lets you squeeze the phone to access certain features, such as the camera or browser. Inside an app, you can also perform context-sensitive actions.
On the surface it’s a hardware gimmick. With a bit of use though, it does have practical applications; for instance taking a picture this way affords you with greater grip and avoids you reaching out for the on-screen shutter button.
Moving on from Edge Sense, there are also deep improvements to the camera, audio and Sense interface. This includes a new Companion (yes another one). This appears to be a Bixby-like assistant to help use the phone, rather than a straight up Google Now copy.
The phone will be launching on June 1st for £649. 4 colours will be available: Brilliant Black, Ice White, Amazing Silver and Sapphire Blue. You can place early orders now at Clove Technology.
It’s no secret that HTC have struggled in recent years. It’s not for lack of trying though. They have consistently pushed boundaries in design, camera and audio technology. Yet they haven’t captured the public’s imaginations.
The tide may be turning though. Following a lucrative manufacturing deal for Google’s Pixel (even if their name isn’t obviously on it), the U11 could be a flashpoint for HTC.
HTC U11 Features
- Android 7.1.1 Nougat – Enjoy the latest Android features including DayDream VR and split-screen apps
- HTC Sense environment with Themes
- Design – Incredible new Edge Sense interaction – U Touch and squeeze to control
- Processor – Snapdragon 835 – new 10nm architecture for high speed and power efficiency
- Audio – HTC USonic and Hi-Res Audio – for high-fidelity sound
- Display – 5.5” QHD (1440 x 2560) Super LCD 5 screen panel with Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Battery – 3,000 mAh battery with Quick Charge 3.0 technology
- Storage – 64GB internal flash memory
- Expandable – microSDXC support up to 256 GB
- Main Camera – 12MP (HTC UltraPixel 3 with 1.55 µm pixel) for amazing photographs
- Front Camera – 16MP with HTC UltraPixel mode
- 4K Video recording with 3D Audio – High-quality video recording with great sound