The dust has settled at MWC in Barcelona and now we know the full details on most of 2017’s flagship phones. Many of the particulars of the new LG G6 had already been drip fed to us over the last few months. We can now though show off the final specification.
We haven’t yet been provided with an official UK release date or price. You can though head over to the Clove retail site and leave your email address for further information.
The official product launch video is also available here:
As expected, the screen is the major focus. At 5.7″ the screen is large but not beyond the current expectations of smartphones. The big change is in the new 18:9 (2:1) screen ratio.
This had already been teased and all but confirmed via subsidiary component manufacturer LG Display. With this new format, the screen can also be realised as two perfect squares. LG is keen to make this known and incorporates the idea into many UI elements. This is something made easier by Android 7.0 native support for split screening.
Core system apps such as Calendar & Email will have side-by-side viewing modes, where squares shows an overview and details respectively. It’s within the Camera application where the most use of squares will be available.
Dual 13MP cameras adorn the back of the LG G6. One has a 125 wide-angle lens and combining the two will deliver depth of field effects. There are plenty of shooting modes too, some of which use the dual-square layout to provide previews.
Additional features include support for Dolby Vision™ & HDR10, plus high fidelity audio recording.
LG G6 Quick Specification
- Android 7.1 Nougat with LG UX & Themes
- 5.7″ FullVision display QHD+ (1,440 x 2,880) with 18:9 (2:1) screen ratio
- Rounded screen corners with a total 80.7% screen-to-body ratio
- Dolby Vision™ & HDR10 for incredibly vivid playback
- Dual 13MP rear cameras – 1x 125° wide-angle & 1x 71° standard
- 5MP 100° wide-angle front-facing camera
- Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 821 Pro (2.35 GHz Quad-Core)
- 32GB storage / 4GB RAM / Micro SD (up to 256GB)
- 148.9 x 71.9 x 7.9 mm
- 3,300 mAh battery with Qualcomm® Quick Charge 3.0
- IP68 dust- and water-resistant