Sony Xperia Z Sample Images

The following are a series of images captured on the Sony Xperia Z.

Images were taken using either Superior Auto mode or normal mode.  Superior Auto shoots images at 12 megapixels whilst normal mode shoots at 13 megapixels. A pre-production device was used so image results may differ slightly on a final production unit.

Click on any of the images to enlarge.

Front facing camera:

No Zoom:

Half Zoom:

Full Zoom:

Comments

1. Humberto Patricio says

Is it my impression or they are a little bit “blur” … ??
    Jon please post some photos at “normal mode”!!
    Br, Humberto.

2. Tim says

If I’m perfectly honest, I’m a little disappointed. These all seem more than a little soft in detail compared to my Xperia S, let alone my ancient Sony Ericsson C905 which beats even that (indeed, I’ve yet to come across a smartphone camera that can beat the C905 – it was, and is, brilliant).

Jon, did you find that images were better when in “normal” mode and adjusted yourself, as is so often the case with phone cameras?

It leaves me wondering whether they used a Cybershot lens and, if not, why not?

• Clove says

Tim,

It is personal opinion on these images I find so many people have quite contrasting views on whether these or others are good or not. I am not the best person to judge but I do believe ‘normal’ mode gave better results in most cases as these is the ability to play around with the settings a bit or at least select the pre-determined scene.

Superior Auto mode on several occasions used modes which I would not have used when shooting the scene that I was. Having said this, I think for the ‘average’ user (sorry to categorise) but Superior Auto will be just fine.

I am sure there will be some tweaking going on with the camera prior to launch.

3. Amirichi says

i’m noticing a lot of abberation. Not too sure if this cam quality is outstanding or just the opposite -_-

4. Jaima says

I take that John has No idea of how to use a (phone) camera, unless its point and shoot.
    Those pics are very poor quality for 13 mega pix, you must go into settings and adjust
    for better pics rather than using basic settings!

• Clove says

Jaima, The shots are designed to represent what the average user would do with the camera.

• Clark says

I would suggest reviewers to take two sets of photos. one with normal settings and one with adjusted settings which brings out the actual tone. By this way, readers may get a better picture which words may not explain. hope it helps with your futture reviews.

Trackbacks

1. […] Sony’s Xperia Z comes with a 13MP camera, whereas the Note II offers 8MP. The truth is, either camera will take very good photos. However, it must be said that on paper, the Xperia Z has the superior snapper. Both handsets have an LED focus and flash, plus 1080p video recording. We should mention that the Xperia Z has continuous autofocus when recording, which should make for even better footage.  In terms of front facing cameras, the Xperia Z again comes out on top with its 2.2MP camera, which includes the same Exmor R lens technology that benefits the rear cam. The Note 2 still fairs well with its 1.9MP front camera, which will be more than enough for the majority of users. You can check out sample video footage for either handset on the Clove YouTube channel. There are also some early Xperia Z photo samples available here. […]