HTC One X + vs Samsung Galaxy S3

Let’s be honest; HTC and Samsung’s flagship devices do not have much to choose between them. Both are extremely powerful handsets that boast the latest and greatest tech available in a smartphone today. I am going to compare some of the features between the two warrior handsets as this question is a frequently asked one here at Clove: What’s the difference between the HTC One X + and the Samsung Galaxy S3?

OS: The HTC One X + comes with the latest Android OS (4.1 Jelly Bean) compared to that of the S3 (4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich) although there is an update now available for the S3 which allows you to upgrade to Jelly Bean.

Processor: The SGS3 is running on a 1.4GHz Exynos 4 Quad-Core processor to that of the One X + which is powered by a larger 1.7GHz Tegra 3 Quad-Core processor. To be quite honest; there is not too much to choose between the two when it comes to processor speed. However, the HTC One X + runs 60% faster than the original One X which is a very notable improvement.

Display: The One X + has a 4.7 inch Super LCD 2 display with a 1280 x 720 resolution and 312 ppi. The SGS3 has a slightly larger screen at 4.8 inches featuring a Super AMOLED display with resolution of 1280 x 720 and 306 ppi. Both devices feature Corning Gorilla Glass 2 displays, the pixels per inch are slightly higher on the One X + plus; but again the difference is hardly significant.

Storage: The storage is where potential users will be swayed to one device in particular. The One X + has a massive internal storage (64GB) comparable to that of the S3 (16GB), although the HTC One X + has no MicroSD slot which may be a deciding factor for many when making that final decision on the two devices.

Camera: Both handsets feature an 8-megapixel rear facing camera with LED flash. Again, both feature 1080p video recording. The cameras are almost identical in quality and precision; the only slight difference would be on the front facing cameras: the S3 features a 1.9 megapixel front facing shooter with 720p video capture for video calling compared to that of the One X + which is at a slight disadvantage with a 1.6 megapixel camera and 720p video capture. Of course there is a lot to consider when it comes to comparing cameras on smartphones, but again the two really are neck-and-neck in most areas.

Design: Although I have always been a fan of the HTC form factor, I can definitely see a vast improvement with the SGS3 compared to its predecessor the SGS2. The SGS2 had a very lightweight and almost plastically feel to it. The SGS3 has definitely got a more of a solid feel but is still some way behind the One X + when it comes to the aesthetics of the two devices in my opinion.

Conclusion: To be honest I find it very hard to choose between the two, they’re both top end smartphones that can offer a lot to their user. I think the ultimate decision may come down to the MicroSD issue with the One X + but then the design of the One X + outweighs the SGS3 so it really is a personal choice that only you the consumer can make. As many of you will have purchased a One X + or an SGS3 we would love to hear why you opted for your chosen handset?

About Zack

Your order placed with Clove, will most likely have been prepared and dispatched by Zack. Often, the most pressurised of roles, Zack always remains cool and is always willing. Also he may have answered your all-important email to us!

Always looking for fun, Zack is always out and about, travelling up and down the country for festivals or to check out the nightlife both locally and far afield. He's also a keen footballer and plays for a local team and his knowledge knows no bounds! And surprise, surprise, he loves the odd steak and a drink or two!

Comments

1. Mike Paterson says:

The S3, mostly because it still has the additional storage option.
    But… I am becoming more and more annoyed with Samsung’s late update program.

Mike

• Bugblatter says:

Is it Samsung that’s delaying it or the carrier? The Three update’s been out for ages, as I think has the unbranded.

Btw there are custom JB ROMs that have some of the cool Note II functionality built-in, the headline being the split screen.

• Mike Paterson says:

Bug,
        Carrier free…. I don’t do carriers period. So it’s all down to Samsung.
        I do have JB on the S3 but that’s not the issue, look around the other models and it’s the same old story….
        My Note 10.1 is still waiting for JB. The N8000 has JB as does the older Tab 2 10.1 but nothing even on samfirmwares yet for the N8010.

And that is the trouble….. we often have to resort to using third-party software from samfirmwares.
        Love all my Sammy devices and doubt I’ll change but boy the business end of the company sure know how to frustrate many.

Mike

• Bugblatter says:

Yeah none of the manufacturers are very good with updates. Makes the Nexus line that much more attractive.

2. S3 after trying both, partly down to the MicroSD / USB OTG issues, but also because I prefer the Touchwiz customizations and the improvements Samsung have made to the email application.

3. Bugblatter says:

The S3′s advantages go way beyond the hardware. When Samsung launched it they barely mentioned the hardware; they focused on what they’d added in terms of functionality. They’ve done much the same with the Note II.

But apart from all that the lack of a microSD card in the OneX is what ruled it out for me. HTC doesn’t learn.

As it goes it looks like the official 4.1.2 update is now rolling out for the S3, providing some of the functionality that the Note II has.

• Bugblatter says:

Aha, I’m on a 4.1.2 ROM so that must be why I’ve got multi-window. I thought it was something the dev had baked in.

Seems there’s a new base out so I’ll be updating again later; no wipe needed luckily.

4. Does it really make much difference whether there is a micro-SD card slot or not considering there is 64GB? How much does a SD card cost to increase the Sammy up to 64GB?

• You are looking at £47 for a 64GB memory card for the S3. This plus the 16GB internal gives 80GB.

Alternatively put in a 32GB card at £20 to give 48GB of storage.

5. I want to confirm, is it true u cannot remove the battery of the HTC One X+?

6. I have a 32gb S III on Telus in canada (32gb was available when I purchased it in may 2012 but no longer available through telus). I also added a 64gb micro sdxc which makes 96gb! If you use drop box as well which gives you 50gb of online storage you have a total storage of 148gb!!

7. David Hunn says:

I just love HTC one X, it’s just awesome.

• IS IT ADVANCED WITH NETWORK CONNECTIONS….. COMPARE WITH S3….. IS INTERNET IS FAST??????

Ecommerce-Store