If you are like me and just cant wait until you can get Ice Cream Sandwich on your Xperia device then you better find something else to ocupy your mind for a time as it wont be until late March/early April that us Sony Ericsson Xperia users will get the joy of Android 4.0.
- Any bugs should have been found and rectified
- Sony Ericsson should have had plenty of time to get it all right and roll it out quickly
- It is a long time to wait and new hardware will most likely be out!
Either way I know and I am sure you do, that its not just that simply to update a phone. Endless scenarios and certifications have to be passed and completed etc.
Read the full statement from the Sony Ericsson Blog below:
As previously communicated we will update the entire 2011 Xperia portfolio* to Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) as part of our next software upgrade. Our developers are now busy merging our current Xperia™ software with the new features in Android 4.0.
With the holiday season around the corner, we’re happy to confirm that the first 2011 Xperia™ smartphones will be upgraded to Android 4.0 starting from end March/early April 2012. The first smartphones to get the upgrade are Xperia™ arc S, Xperia™ neo V and Xperia™ ray. Soon after, starting from end April/early May, Xperia™ arc, Xperia™ PLAY, Xperia™ neo, Xperia™ mini and mini pro, Xperia™ pro, Xperia™ active as well as Sony Ericsson Live with Walkman™ will get their upgrades.
This will be a phased roll out over several weeks and all kits for a specific phone model will not get the upgrade at the same time. For more information about what’s going on during the process of an Android software upgrade, please check out this blog post from our Developer World team. It gives a comprehensive overview of the steps we need to take to ensure great software qualityonce it reaches the phone in your hand. Below is a summary of the process:
- It starts with public push when we as a manufacturer get access to the new Android release from Google
- Our developers take the existing Xperia™ software and combine it with the new Android release
- Once the coding is done we want to make sure the quality of the new software meets our, our partners and your expectations
- Now we feel the new software is ready but we also need to make sure it’s approved by our external partners
- All good. We’re all set to roll-out the new software. The story continues in your Xperia™ smartphone
As you can see, there are many steps involved and it’s a comprehensive upgrade in terms of number of products.
So, how do you know when the new software is available for your Xperia™ smartphone?
Owners of 2011 Xperia™ smartphone will receive a notification in the phone instructing them to download the software over the air via 3G or WiFi. Alternatively, they will have the option to connect to a computer and download it via PC companion.
Over the next months we will be keeping you up to date on progress and we will also share video demos of the new software running on 2011 Xperia™ smartphones.