Microsoft have disclosed details/ a preview of an update to Windows Phone 7.
Named Mango or Windows Phone 7.5, this new update is set to have 500 new features which will massively improve the user experience for current and future Windows Phone 7 users.
The update is due to be free to all Windows Phone 7 users, but no exact date has been set for when it will roll out, but expectations are later this year.
So what are the improvements?
The update is focused on 3 main areas, communication, apps and internet with the intention to make the user experience better and richer for the smartphone user.
- Twitter and LinkedIn support
- Group creation. Categorise contacts all in one place, see and track updates from each. Support for live tiles will be included.
- Contact pages will be added to cover pictures of that particular contact, call history for that particular contact and visual voice mail.
- One message thread for communication mediums with a particular contact. Whether the conversation be on Facebook, text, email or Messenger, one screen will show the whole conversation string.
- Voice to text and text to voice for a hands free user experience. Speak to the phone or let it speak to you! Perfect when driving.
- Link email accounts in a unified inbox.
- Threaded email conversation views and calendar integration for appointments – Perfect for business!
- Internet Explorer 9 debuts on Windows Phone and is designed to give an experience like you would get on your desktop PC.
- Bing improvement with further, deeper integration.
- Quick cards, pulls a summary of results rather than taking you to a particular page and brings as much back as possible to maximise the search.
- Local Scout will pulls together information on the locale of your search. If you’re looking for a restaurant, Local Scout will pull together information not only about that establishment but the area around the location such as alternative establishments, additional attractions, etc.
- BingVision – a glorified barcode reader that will scan a barcode or take an actual picture and search for it on the web – great for finding a better price!
- More, smarter and richer is the key here.
- Updates to the hubs:
- Photo hub – Facial detection for photos. Designed for making it easier to tag when uploading to social networks.
- Office hub – Support for Office 365 and Skydrive. This will give you access to documents stored in the cloud from your Windows Phone.
- Xbox live: Improved consistency, improved avatar appearance and animations, the ability to connect with Xbox Live friends from the hub and check/compare achievements and scores.
- There is also multi-tasking improvements which will improve resume speeds. Press and hold the back button and you will have access to a task manager type screen to flick between applications (Common in Android and even Symbian)
These are just a few of the apparent 500 improvements. You can see the list (which will grow) HERE.
We will bring you more information as and when we hear about it.