If you live in the UK, you may have seen that on Wednesday night there was a programme on channel 4 (watch it here) about ‘Fonehouse’ a high street retailer who sold mobile phones on contract like the Carphone Warehouse and Phone 4U – we found it very interesting!
Even if you do not live in the UK you may be able to relate to the comments that came out of the programme.
The programme looked at the store layout and the customer service and how they could improve. The main message to come out of the show was that many mobile phone store’s are full of men that speak technical terms and do not listen to what the customer actually wants, but more about what they can actually sell you, baffling you with numbers, jargon to the point that you sign up to a contract that you didn’t actually want/need, but you took their recommendation.
We are not suggesting that the way other phone stores operate is right or wrong but we thought we would comment on how we operate here at Clove.
- We do our best to listen to customers – We recommend products that are right for you. We sell the one that best suits your needs and not the one that makes us the most money. Even if you asked us what is the best phone on the market because I want it, we would ask what you used the device for to ascertain which product is best for you.
- We offer something for all – We have customers from the very technically astute to those who could not care about the features, they just want something that does the job. Without doubt we have technical customers and if you want us too we can talk techie back.
- We treat you like we wish to be treated – We all dislike being harassed by the sales assistant so we do not do this. Ask questions by email or phone as and when you are ready.
- We cut out the jargon – We understand that phones can be technical particularly the latest high end smartphones but do our best to explain any features and functions in a way that is clear and makes sense.
- We are not on the high street- Not being on the high street might mean you cant see us, but you can always contact us by phone or email, we are here for you.
- We do not have a complicated store – OK our store is virtual and not physical but we make it easy to view, with a clear website, online guides, links, the ability to search. For more assistance e are available on the phone or by email.
- We are honest – No lies or twisting the answer to make it sound better than it is. Ask us a straight question, get a straight answer.
- We use devices – We use and play with devices we stock, so we know how they work and wont talk about a product like we are reading off a sheet.
- You can speak to a woman – Here at Clove it is not an all male team. We have female customers and understand that you may prefer to speak to a female, all you need to is ask.
- We specialise – We don’t sell everything and anything we focus on selling quality products. You can be assured when you will get a product that is worth the money.
- We do not sell contracts – There can be good money to be made on a contract, if the right one is sold, that is why some sales people work hard to push the sale – we don’t do contracts so there is none of that pushing you onto something you don’t need or want.
- We do not work on commission – Lots of high street phone shops work on commission. We do not. As a result there is less pressure to sell (ok we need to make sales to stay in business) however there is not that individual pressure to hit targets or get a certain commission.