The Samsung Galaxy Tab has been on the market about 6 weeks now and I have been quietly watching with interest.
I do not know really what I will use it for but my need for new tech is too great so, as a little Christmas present to myself I have picked one up. I know in six months, something better will be out, but that is 6 months away.
I have my Android HTC Desire and will continue to use this. I think the tab will follow me round for general web browsing, social media and as a general toy.
I know Android and what I can do, but I want your help and advice to provide, tips, tweaks and more so that I can get the most out of my tab.
At the moment, I have pretty much the standard apps on it, and will add more and customise it over the Christmas and New Year period.
I have however picked up a desk dock and TV cable, as I think these are important. When available I will no doubt get the brodit holder for the Galaxy Tab too.
I have never before rooted a device or done tweaks to the code, but I am open to it if there is a detailed guide. I would prefer not to though.
So what would you recommend?
Is there a must have app on the tab, that I might not have come across? An essential accessory? A cool trick? A website full of Galaxy Tab users?
I want to know, leave your comments below.
I will update this post as and when I can with developments and some of the best content that you bring forward.
A couple of weeks on I have now had time to get used to the Galaxy Tab and get it setup the way I wish.
So what have I done.
- Set up two home screens with shortcuts and the most important info- I do not need any more as the Tab is in the middle device of my smartphone and my PC,
- Installed a few games including Angry Birds, Paper toss etc.
- Installed doubletwist along with AirSync, their new wireless sync service for all my music
- Got a executive case for it to protect it when moving the device about
- Picked up a keyboard for the tab, for when replying to longer emails etc. I can not stress how good the keyboard is.
- Using the tab more and more now – literally carry it around in the pocket or the car most of the time.
- Installed and converted to Evernote as I can access this from anywhere and I now take the tab with keyboard and evernote running to meetings for all my notes.
- Gone down to just one home screen now to be even more efficient.
- Battery life is incredible on the tab, it lasts for ages or at least seems too.
- Going off the exec case a bit as I have to keep taking it out to use the keyboard – Think I may change to a barely there case for the tab.
- Installed an app that converts the flash of the camera into a flashlight
- Never do I use the phone functionality of the device, always WiFi only.
- Occasionally use an app iDisplay to provide the 4th screen to my desk setup